The historic town of Mount Pleasant, South Carolina is located east of the Cooper River just a short distance over the new Arthur Ravenel Bridge from the Charleston Historic District. The latest demographic report for the town shows a 2008 population of 64,941 with a median age of 37.2 years.
The Old Pitt Street Bridge was once the troll bridge connecting Sullivan's Island with Mt. Pleasant. Various bridges were built here, beginning with The Bridge Of Boats during the Revolutionary War. The bridge was dismantled when the causeway was built to Sullivan's Island in 1935.
Town of Mount Pleasant Population by Age Group - 2005
Under 5 years 3,976 6.37%
5 to 9 4,264 7.21%
10 to 14 4,068 6.88%
15 to 19 3,481 5.89%
20 to 24 3,168 5.36%
25 to 34 8,892 15.04%
35 to 44 10,250 17.34%
45 to 54 8,816 14.92%
55 to 59 3,550 6.01%
60 to 64 2,592 4.39%
65 to 74 3,115 5.27%
75 to 84 2,118 3.58%
85 and over 814 1.38%
Source: 2005 Special Census
Year Town State
1998 1.0% 3.6%
1999 1.1% 4.1%
2000 1.3% 3.6%
2001 1.7% 5.2%
2002 1.9% 5.9%
2003 2.2% 6.7%
2004 2.2% 6.8%
2005 2.3% 6.7%
Source: South Carolina Employment Security Commission;
U.S. Department of Labor website via Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce
Top 20 Major Employers in Mount Pleasant Area - 2007
Company Name Product
East Cooper Regional Medical Center Hospital 672
Town of Mount Pleasant Local government 600
Wild Wing Café Casual dining 350
Sticky Fingers 4 Area Restaurants and Retail 300
Motley Rice LLC Attorneys 286
Wal-Mart Supercenter Mt. Pleasant Retail merchandise 254
Franke at Seaside Social services 230
Sandpiper Retirement Community Health services 225
Mediterranean Shipping Co. (USA) Inc. Shipping container mfg; steamship line 210
Whole Foods Grocery store 186
Wal-Mart Hwy 17 N Retail merchandise 181
The Agent Owned Realty Co. Residential real estate 172
Lowe's Mt. Pleasant Building materials & home/garden products 170
Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina Lodging 150
Kohl’s Department store 150
Charleston Nursing And Rehab Center Nursing and rehabilitation 150
Publix Supermarket Johnnie Dodds Retail groceries 150
GenPhar Developing bio-defense vaccines 140
Automated Trading Desk Computer programming services 140
Patriots Point Authority Museums, attractions, entertainment 135
Source: Center for Business Research, Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce, 2007
A map of the Old Village of Mt. Pleasant, SC with the history and photos of Old Village homes with historic designations.
History Of The Town Of Mount Pleasant, SC
The Mt. Pleasant was originally occupied by the Sewee Indians. The first settlers arrived from England on July 6, 1680 with Captain Florentia O'Sullivan who had been granted 2,340 acres which included Sullivan's Island as well as land that was to become Mt. Pleasant.
51 new settlers arrived from England in 1696 and each family was allocated several hundred acres in Christ Church Parish. In 1706 the Province of Carolina defeated Spanish and French forces in an area known as Hobcaw Plantation located between Shem Creek and the Wando River.
After the start of the Civil War, Battery Gary and an adjacent floating battery between Mt. Pleasant and Sullivan's Island were involved in the defense of Mt. Pleasant and Fort Sumter. The town was also defended by a series of fortifications and Mt. Pleasant was the training ground for the nine man crew of the Confederate submarine the H.L. Hunley which was launched from Breach Inlet in 1864 to attack the USS Housatonic.
After the Civil War many of the freed slaves woho worked on the plantations settled in "Scanlonville" which still exists in Mt. Pleasant today. Robert Scanlon, a former slave puchased 614 acres of property known as Remley's Plantation bordering Charleston Harbor along the Wando River in Mt. Pleasant. Much of the Plantation was divided up and sold to freed slaves to form the community of Scanlonville.
For many years, Mt. Pleasant was primarily populated seasonally by Charleston residents weathy enough to afford summer homes across the river from Charleston. The population of Mount Pleasant was centered in an area of town known as "The Old Village."
A bridge was built from Charleston to Mount Pleasant in 1928 and a second larger bridge opened in 1966. On July 16, 2005, the Arthur Ravenel Bridge opened replacing the two smaller and older bridges.